Saturday, January 14, 2012


Waiting for grandma

I sat in the living room and heard her tell the story for the umpteenth time. I’m not tired of hearing it and she’s not tired of telling it….it’s as if it were the first time she told it. I hear her remembering the good times, the hard times, the family and the relationships.

She’s alone now and I live far away. I’m not saying she’s an easy person to get along with and I’m not saying that she’s the kind of grandma who makes you cookies or sews you a blankie. She can’t but it’s not her style either.

She walks leaning off to the side and has shrunken in time.

Me: Te ayudo
Her: No!

She doesn’t want to feel useless or unable.  She doesn’t need your help. She’s not one to bother anyone, she says.

Her: You be ready if they’re coming to get you. Never leave anyone waiting. Don’t waste people’s time.

I’ve been waiting for about and hour and since I was dozing off on the couch, I went to check. It’s awfully quiet back there.

Me: Abuela?
Her: Esperate….que?

She’s not ready.

The mosquitoes are biting so I decide to go to the car. She has a skin condition and can’t turn on the a/c.

I ‘m sitting in the car as we speak. How much longer do I have her? What else can I learn from her?

…got back out of the car and went to get my grandma…still have things to learn you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment